Wednesday, February 17, 2021

poem - Miller Light Stage - August, 2011

 

Miller Light Stage – August, 2011

I guess these remnants of Iron Butterfly

          a band judged too downer for Woodstock

have lost amplitude as they jam at the State Fair

          Their ostriched sounds bleak with thunder

as I qualify hot sun expectancy with a craft beer

          (fiery-tongues of three roasted artisanal hops)

No sunshine acid hints navigate hoops of real fire

          (but I am verging on passive heat hallucination)

as they expound minority numbers like ‘Butterfly Bleu’

          (Wait, what is this? nearby geezers ask)

I wait for the venerable warhorse thinking damn I’m old

          but then: Freaking magic, ma-an! The fire-dance intro

I and the whole phoenix ritual tribe rise free as one

          subconscious in unity rhythmic boogaloo memory

entering the garden together, firewalkers on the big beat

          as the sun descends the holy blue Iowa sky

No comments:

Post a Comment