Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1, 2018 Out With the Old, In With the New

The Art of the Sentence lecture by Barbara Hurd very thought-provoking AND featuring sentence diagramming (humorous, retro and inevitably useful). I want to search for sentence diagramming software and/or apps.

My truck started after 4 days and nights of sub-zero weather. Good truck!

Today is New Year's Day!

I saw Ann Cardinal today - my first contact with VCFA. She is everyone's favorite.

In the library, I found a vintage (1941) private press edition of Edna St Vincent Millay's Collected Sonnets. Boy, what a beautifully printed book. I checked it out and the librarian said it is due back in June(!) I'm going to make it my first self-directed poetry reading assignment. Edna was considered a libertine in her time. Today, that snarky personal assessment wouldn't be relevant or even remarkable. In other news, Edna's mastery of the sonnet form was obvious and consummate. I'm going to savor this book.  I have gotten up to sonnet v and already there are some surprises.

I took a nap after the first three lectures this morning.  Listening to jams in the dorm room leading up to dinner.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment