Monday, January 22, 2018

Annie Dillard

So, an assignment was to read "The Writing Life" by Annie Dillard.

query to my colleagues:

I'm not feeling this book at all. Its like listening to people whining on NPR.

I'm only 15 pages in, but I'm getting nothing. 

So far I got:

1. Throw stuff away
2. You don't know what your writing means til next year
3. Writers work left to right (I don't really agree)
4. Emotional involvement in your work is bad (also, disagree)
5. She doesn't like Paradise Lost (?)  (I do)
6. How to catch a bee.
7. A lady catches a jackfish using her own thighmeat as bait.

Armando answered, saying he found it fairly conventional, but was putting it aside after reading about half the book, to focus on reading poetry.  This seemed right to me as I was getting close to throwing the book at the wall after reading about "one of my many studies" in Cape Cod. I really lost interest after reading that.

Dillard seems too cute by 250%. I have to admit that I have always been put off by her after she titled a book "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek". Sheesh. Maybe I'll give her another chance in another lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment