Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Travelogue

 

Travelogue

 

I feel a dirty wind blow in my face

full of grit and elbows, grease of ancient days

boiled down, dry-dusted hair of comrades

back to Concord against my face bandana

catches in a white-on-red pattern gone brown

when will I take care to rinse it out?

 

Weary as a dying wind, pale as thin dust settled

I lie flat-backed on breathing grave-like ground

and this is no time to dream nor even slumber long

Rise again and slump onward to fight the patterns

in the sense of things I see stone wrong circle me

as the wind picks up its mad, hard song overhead

 

I sit up to feel a dim yellow sun hurt my eyes

it runs orange and copper fingers on the misty banks

and there is no song in it, only spitefulness

A willful world has stacked worn chips against me

The uphill road I’m on is a bet for a sucker to follow

with no pieces of bronze, silver or gold more to wager

 

No comments:

Post a Comment