Wednesday, June 9, 2021

today's poem - "Unclogging Stink Holes"

Unclogging Stink Holes

-all work is ennobling

 

With a pole I muck the sewage holes

as sound slurps sweetly in and out with my labor

I heave, sweat, grimace, and grunt

until suddenly a great onrush begins

sewage sucking out and releasing

to relieve itself down into the stink hole

 

My groaning, knee-weakening work slowly ended

I take my rest: smoke, nap, and croon

 

Although all today’s pressures have relaxed

tomorrow I must return for more reaming

with more rigorous churning actions

using the pole I clean after each messy use

to make it smooth and ready for plunging

 

It’s hard work, sure- but very rewarding

a boon to those leery of doing strenuous,

foul-smelling work alone in the dark –

I can do it to convenience my clientele

and it makes me glow with a guilty pleasure

as I work resolutely in desolate shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment