Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Idling Across Great Expanses (today's poem)

Idling Across Great Expanses

 

as I eat my chili mac

super bus, my shiny metal friend

          goes faster than cheetahs

slower than a mistake

          crisscrosses country

                    back and forth

                       like La Nina   

            as forces of nature fade

 

on the Overland Express

 

my friends are all here

          dealing penny ante

poker, spades, hearts, canasta

                as we discuss our youth

not listening as the bus calmly rattles

             over prairies, bridges, mountain cuts

swerving roads on our curving words

                       ambiguous

          chowder for sharks

past graveyards, churches, steeples

 

                    I pull the cord

                    to de-bus

but there is nowhere to stop the travel

          as my nerves unravel

             tires spit gravel

                    O Super Bus

                      rumble through orchards

                            one last turnaround

                              to make a daydream spin

No comments:

Post a Comment